Computer Assisted Legal Instruction (CALI) for Students
- Assigned by Professors
- Better Understanding of Subject Matter
- Instant Feedback on Comprehension
Sign up: http://www.cali.org/user/register
If you have any questions on these instructions or would like more detailed information, please do not hesitate to contact the Law Library at 559/326-1552.
Instructions for Creating Account
- This is the initial account creation screen.
- Your First Name and Your Last Name must be your Exam ID. Make sure to keep your username and password in a safe place. Do not share your username and password with any other students.
- Make any selections you wish regarding the Newsletters, Interest Groups and Cali Tools and Services. Click “Create New Account” and you are done creating an account.
Researching Potential Lessons
- Once you have created an account, you will start at the home screen below.
- From the home screen you can click on the “LESSONS” tab to explore available topics and lessons.
- You can then click on a topic to see what specific lessons are available. In this example I have selected Civil Procedure. That selection takes you to the following page.
- You can then scroll through the page and see brief descriptions of the lessons available. In this example I have selected the lesson titled, “The Erie Doctrine 1: Erie Basics.”
- Clicking on the link for that lesson brings you to this screen where you can start the lesson or bookmark the lesson.
Accessing Lesson Links
- You will receive an e-mail from your professor with your Cali LessonLinks. Your Professor may send this to you in one or two different ways. Either the link will connect directly to the lesson, or the link will take you to the LessonLink page where you can click on the Lesson. The Professor may send you both links.
- Upon clicking either link you will be taken to this screen. You will need to logon with the username and password you created in setting up your account. Upon logging into CALI you will immediately be taken to the link you originally clicked on.
- Depending on the link, if you were given a LessonLink link the screen may look like this. If so, simply click on the LessonLink URL.
- Clicking on the URL will take you to the actual lesson, or if the link provided by your Professor was the link directly into the lesson, this is the first screen you will see upon logging on. Select the Table of Contents.
- This will take you into the sections of the lesson. Clicking on any link will take you to that section. In each section are short lessons and/or quiz questions. As you click through you will need to read the lessons and take the quizzes.
- As you go through the lessons some pages are instruction and others are quiz questions based upon the material covered. On this screen, you would simply click next to go to the next screen.
- Quiz screens can be mulitple choice, true-false, and/or written answers.
- The exam grades as you select the answers. A wrong answer will typically give you additional information.
- Once you have selected the correct answer, you can continue through the material. If at anytime you want to exit and resume later you simply click on Exit & Resume Later.
Returning to Lesson Runs
- When you are in any part of the main Cali website, there is a banner at the top of the page. If you click on the dropdown button on the “CALI Dashboard” and select Lesson Runs, it will take you back to the lessons you have started, or have completed.
- When you select Lesson Runs it should take you to the “Current Lesson Runs” tab. If not, simply click on the tab. In this view you can see past scores and you can resume past lessons. To resume a lesson simply click on the “Resume” button for that lesson.