The court is seeking applicants for a full-time, term law clerk position in our Fresno office. The incumbent will assist U.S. District Judge Lawrence J. O’Neill by conducting substantive review, research and writing on a wide range of issues that arise in federal litigation. The initial term of appointment will be one year. The position is subject to renewal upon satisfactory performance and with the expectation that the applicant will be open to remaining in the position for at least one additional year. The position has an expected start date of employment either on or shortly after August 3, 2015.
For consideration, applicants must be law school graduates with strong academic records. Candidates also must possess:
- Strong writing skills.
- Excellent research and case management skills.
- Ability to work independently in a production oriented, high-volume work environment.
- Membership in a Bar of a state, territorial, or Federal Court of general jurisdiction.
- At least two years of post-graduate legal work experience. Work experience in civil litigation and/or as a federal law clerk or extern is highly preferred.
How to Apply
For consideration, applicants must provide:
- An introductory cover letter addressed to:
U.S. District Judge Lawrence J. O’Neill, U.S. District Court, 2500 Tulare
Street #1501, Fresno, CA 93721.
- A chronological resume.
- A writing sample (not more than 10 pages in length).
- A copy of law school transcript.
- A list of at least 3 professional references.
Materials must be submitted electronically through the OSCAR system located at https://oscar.uscourts.gov/. The posting is listed under the account of U.S. District Judge Lawrence J. O’Neill.
The Court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, or to withdraw the announcement, any of which may occur without prior written or other notice. Only qualified applicants will be considered for this position. Participation in the interview process will be at the applicants own expense and relocation expenses will not be provided. As a condition of employment, the selected candidate will be subject to an FBI fingerprint background check. All information provided by applicants is subject to verification and background investigation. Applicants must be either U.S. citizens or eligible to work for the United States government.
Job Grade: JSP grade 12-13
Starting Salary Range (DOE):
12/1 - $70,192
13/1 - $83,468
Position is open until filled; however, materials filed by July 10, 2015 will be given preference.
- Paid Holidays
- Health Insurance
- Dental & Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- On Site Gym
For more information about benefits go to: USCourts.gov
Posted: July 1, 2015