Founded in 1956, Legal Services of Northern California (LSNC) provides high quality civil legal assistance to the poor, elderly, and people with disabilities in 23 northern California counties.
- Law Graduate or Attorney with 1 - 3 years experience
- Health Unit
- Several positions located in LSNC field offices - to be determined
Under supervision of the managing attorney, will participate in all aspects of advocacy and litigation including, but not limited to: client interviews, factual investigation, legal research, discovery, preparation of legal documents, negotiations, trials, and appellate work in both state and federal courts; appear at administrative hearings; provide legal advice to individual clients, and general legal information to eligible community groups as well as to the public in general.
- Knowledge of the principles and procedures of litigation in State and Federal Courts, administrative agencies and hearing rights; substantive areas of law relevant to program/office case priorities; principles of community development and establishment of working relationships; the theories of changes in the law and how to implement strategies for developing changes; principles and procedures of legislative advocacy; the importance of written reports to management; computer research methods.
- Skills would include client interviewing, investigation, legal research, analytical reasoning ability, creativity, excellent English writing skills, negotiation, trial skills, appellate writing and oral argument, communication/listening skills; ability to work under stress and short time lines, ability to work with/for poor people, empathize with the client community, and the ability to do computer research.
- Language: An ability to relate to the client community being served; bilingual in a language spoken by client communities preferred, but not required.
J.D. and a member of the California Bar or willing and qualified to take the next bar exam. This is an entry-level position or higher - law graduate or attorney with one (1) to three (3) years experience working with low-income people preferred; experience with community outreach preferred; Spanish-speaking ability preferred, but not required.
$3,500 to $3,750 per month DOE.
Legal Services of Northern California offers an excellent fringe benefit plan.
Send resume, writing sample and three references with telephone numbers to:
Managing Attorney, Health Unit
Legal Services of Northern California
515 12th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Open until filled
LSNC provides a bilingual bonus for employees who speak a second language, other than english, commonly spoken by clients when the second language is used on the job for which the person is employed. LSNC is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages women, people of color, people with disabilities, older people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people to apply.
Posted: November 14, 2016