Experience: 3-5 years in a legal services program or other law office
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Location: Fresno, Visalia and Merced Offices (to be determined)
Term of Employment: Permanent Full Time
Other: FLSA Exempt, Union Position
Provide high quality legal services, from advice and brief services to full representation, and education to members of the client community and foster a cooperative and productive relationship with the staff and community groups. A commitment to impact litigation, team work and community lawyering is essential.
- Provide legal representation to clients consistent with CCLS program priorities.
- Participate in planning and strategy meetings with project partners.
- Work with CCLS advocates to ensure the delivery of high quality legal services.
- May need to participate in weekly CCLS case review meetings.
- Identify and analyze systemic issues through individual casework, reviews of the CCLS data and participation in statewide networks of legal services advocates.
- Interface with other CCLS and California advocates on issues of mutual interest.
- Co-counsel with other legal staff.
- Work with client groups and community-based service providers to identify community lawyering opportunities.
- Participate in community outreach and education events.
- Adhere to CCLS policies and procedures.
- Attend continuing legal education seminars and keep abreast of changes in the law.
- Other duties as assigned.
The candidate should:
- Not be afraid of litigation and be trial ready. Be excited to litigate cases that will have a positive impact on the community.
- Have a commitment to community lawyering. Look forward to working with low-income clients and to connecting and strategizing with local community leaders.
- Have an ability to work effectively with diverse groups of individuals and organizations including ability to provide leadership within a culturally diverse environment.
- Have superior interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Be self-motivated and always looking to improve. Not be afraid to “go for it” and learn by doing.
- Be a team player but also able to work independently.
- Have a passion for the work and is willing to do what it takes to get it done.
- Desire to learn. Have the ability to follow case review policies and procedures, and desire to gain knowledge of the principles and procedures of administrative agencies, hearing rights, and consumer grievance systems and substantive poverty law areas.
- Be inquisitive, analytical and a problem solver.
- Be able to conduct client interviews, investigations, legal research, analytical reasoning ability, case review and problem solve.
- Have experience with PC systems and standard software (Microsoft Office, Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, Google and PowerPoint), other relevant databases.
- Have reliable transportation, a valid CA drivers’ license with appropriate car insurance.
- Be able to travel to represent clients.
- Be a member in good standing of the State Bar of California or admission within twelve months of hire; or eligible to practice under the Registered Legal Services Attorney Program.
- Bilingual highly preferred (Spanish/English, Hmong/English).
DOE, medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance coverage; employer contribution to 403(b) plan based on length of service; 14.5 paid holidays; generous vacation and sick leave policy; some professional organizations dues paid by CCLS; May qualify for the School Loan Reimbursement Assistance Program and/or a Bilingual Supplement.
CCLS is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All interested individuals, including women, people of color, people over forty, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Posted: June 18, 2016